Benoni High School was established in August, 1922 with Standard 7 and 8 classes forming a Secondary department of the old Benoni Central School in Howard Avenue. Mr. F.O. Quirke was appointed Headmaster. In January, 1923, the school moved to the new wood and iron building adjacent to Benoni Station which later became known affectionately as the “Tin Temple”.
On 11 December, 1926, Mr. J.H. Hoffmeyer, the then Administrator of the Transvaal, laid the foundation stone of a more impressive permanent building, located to the south of Willowmoore Park Sports Grounds. After only four classrooms had been completed the effect of the onset of the Great Depression led to delays in construction which resulted in the official opening of the School not taking place until April, 1937.
With the passage of time, the suburbs of Benoni spread to the north of the town which necessitated a re-location of the school premises. New buildings were therefore planned and constructed on a site known as Beckett’s Farm in the heart of the northern suburbs. These buildings were occupied by the School in January, 1974.
*To develop independent, self-disciplined, self-controlled, responsible, determined, reasoning young adults.
*To strive to produce soundly educated pupils who are equipped to enjoy a full and satisfying life.
*To provide our pupils with the best quality educational equipment and to employ the most modern teaching methods available.
*To help those in academic, moral or physical need in our general field of duty.
*To engender in our pupils a deep respect and love of our Creator.
To educate our pupils in all spheres, academics, sport, art and culture so that they can go out into the world and make a meaningful contribution to society as well as lead fulfilling lives.